Port of Call: Sohar, Oman
Situated on the Arabian Peninsula lies one of the world’s newest and most developed ports, the port of Sohar in the Sultanate of Oman. Officially opened in 2014, the port of Sohar was a major building project in Oman aimed at turning the country’s fifth most populated city into an economic powerhouse. The port of Sohar is strategically located in one of the most important regions of the world, with access to the Arabian Sea, Gulf of Oman, Persian Gulf and the Strait of Hormuz. In addition to international shipping services into Oman, the port has connections to other major regions in the Middle East including road connections to the major cities of Riyadh in Saudi Arabia and Abu Dhabi and Dubai in the United Arab Emirates.
In 2009 Oman entered a free trade agreement with the United States in which a number of products were now allowed duty-free access into Oman. Today, over 6% of all imports into Oman are from the United States. In addition to the duty free status granted to USA products, the port of Sohar is also a free zone area with an abundance of international shipping services available from all over the world. The major import into Oman is vehicles, accounting for 12% of total imports, and affordable international car shipping service is available from most major ports in the USA to Sohar, Oman via roll-on / roll-off vessels. In addition to ro/ro service, international container shipping service is available to Oman for the shipment of machinery, steel, plastic and other consumer goods. High-heavy machinery and construction equipment shipping to Sohar, Oman is also available on roll-on / roll-off vessels.
Some notable features for the port of Sohar, Oman:
- Over $15 billion was invested into the creation of the Sohar port and free zone making it one of the largest port development projects in the world.
- The free zone area of Sohar was created in 2010 and allows for increased international shipping services into and out of Oman from all major ports around the world.
- The major imports into Oman include automobiles and machinery. As a result there is increased international automobile shipping and container shipping services available from the United States to the port of Sohar, Oman.
- One of the major features incorporated into the construction of the new port was deep water jetties which makes the port of Sohar capable of handling the world’s largest ships.
- Official port operations were switched from the port of Muscat to Sohar in August 2014. Today the port of Sohar is mostly fully operational and is currently handling break bulk, container, automobile and construction equipment shipping services.
For more information about the port of Sohar and international shipping services to Oman visit the Port of Sohar Website. For international shipping quotes from the USA to Sohar, Oman for high heavy, machinery, car, construction equipment and container, visit our Rate Request Page. For more information on our international shipping services give us a call at 212-267-6400 or send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.