In the early 1800’s the city of Cotonou, the capital of Benin, was originally a small fishing village. By the mid 1800’s the city was set up as a major trading post between Benin and Europe and by the late 1800’s the port of Cotonou, Benin was considered one of the largest ports in West Africa. Today, the port is the only major port in Benin and thus serves an integral part in the economy of the country. In addition to serving Benin, the port acts as a gateway for international shipping services to the landlocked countries of Mali, Burkina Faso and Niger.
Today the port of Cotonou receives millions of dollars worth of cargo from around the world. International car shipping service to the port of Cotonou, Benin is very popular through roll-on / roll-off shipping service. Cars are shipped from several USA ports to the port in Benin. In addition to automobiles, international construction equipment shipping is also very popular to the port of Cotonou, Benin. The most popular type of construction equipment shipped to Cotonou, Benin is excavators.
Some notable features for the port of Cotonou, Benin:
- Over 60% of the country’s industry and business is located in Cotonou, making the port an essential part of the economy.
- The port of Cotonou is considered an automotive center especially for European brand cars. As a result there is well established overseas car shipping services to Benin from the United States and Europe.
- The port of Cotonou is capable of storing over 15,000 containers at a time.
- Automobiles are the number one import to Cotonou from the United States and international automobile shipping service from the USA takes less than 20 days to reach Benin.
- International shipping services for construction equipment, containers, automobiles and machinery is available to the port of Cotonou from most ports in the United States.
For more information about the port of Cotonou and international shipping services to Benin visit the Port of Cotonou Website. For international shipping quotes from the USA to Cotonou, Benin for high heavy, machinery, car, construction equipment and container, visit our Rate Request Page. For more information on our international shipping services give us a call at 212-267-6400 or send an email to email@example.com.