The second largest port in South Korea is located in Incheon, a city that is approximately 27 kilometers from the capital city of Seoul. As the fourth largest economy in Asia, South Korea is of major importance in international shipping and trade. The port of Incheon was opened in 1883, seven years after the opening of Korea’s largest port in Busan. While the port of Incheon is capable of handling container cargo, it is well known as the major port for overseas car shipping into South Korea from all over the world.
After the Battle of Inchon during the Korean War, the government of South Korea needed to heavily invest in the reconstruction of the port. In 1966 the government began expanding and improving the infrastructure of Incheon port. By the 2000’s the economy of Korea was one of the fastest growing in the world. In 2010 South Korea was the 6th largest exporter and 10th largest importer in the world, showing the growth of international shipping services into and out of South Korea. Today the port of Incheon handles container, cars, construction equipment and high heavy shipping services.
Some notable features for the port of Incheon, South Korea:
- The city of Incheon became Korea’s first free economic zone in 2003 attracting global businesses and Korean companies such as Samsung. The economic zone is a customs free zone that allows for greater clearance and cargo processing into the port.
- The port of Incheon is capable of handling 48 cargo vessels at the same time
- Over the past three years the port of Incheon has seen the largest amount of cargo transported through its terminals in its entire history. In addition to being the top international car shipping port for Korea, the port has seen a rise in container cargo.
- The Gyeong-In Ara Waterway project will connect the port directly with the capital city of Seoul opening up additional international shipping services and opportunities within Korea.
- In 2015 the port is expected to expand from five container piers to 10 container berths that will add an additional capacity for 6 thousand containers and the port is expected to continue expanding well into the year 2020.
For more information about the port of Incheon, South Korea and international shipping services to South Korea, visit the Port of Incheon Website. Visit our rate request page to receive an international car, high heavy, construction equipment and container shipping quote or to receive more information on our international shipping services.