Port of Call: Rotterdam, Netherlands
While it might be only the second largest city in The Netherlands, Rotterdam is home to the largest seaport in all of Europe offering a wide range of international shipping services. In 2009, Rotterdam was the world’s tenth-largest container port in terms of twenty-foot equivalent units (TEU) handled.
Located directly on the North Sea, the Port of Rotterdam can handle the largest ocean-going vessels 24 hours a day throughout the year. The port provides facilities for heavy equipment shipping and international car transport cargo handling, storage, and distribution. Cargoes can be distributed inland to Europe’s extensive market of consumers through five transportation modes: roads, railways, pipelines, inland ships, and coastal ships. Within 24 hours of arriving at the port, all industrial and economic centers in Western Europe can be reached.
With numerous modern facilities, several international shipping companies, unrivalled sea access, and unlimited access to surrounding regions, the Port of Rotterdam handles every type of construction equipment shipping and break-bulk cargo from steel and project cargo to forest products, and international automobile shipping among many others.
Some other notable features include:
- Covers a total area of over 10.5 thousand hectares
- Contains tank storage for 28.4 million cubic meters of liquids
- Maintains 29 tug boats and 6 pilot boats
- 35 terminals for liquid bulk cargoes, 17 multi-purpose terminals, and 15 dry bulk terminals
- Ample cargo-handling equipment, including 162 multi-purpose cranes, 103 container gantry cranes, 25 floating cranes, 22 ship-to-shore bulk cranes, 12 container cranes (rail terminals), and ten sheer leg cranes.
For more information about the port of Rotterdam please visit: Port of Rotterdam’s Website. To receive international construction equipment shipping, international boat shipping and car shipping quotes from the USA to European ports including the port of Rotterdam, Netherlands visit our rate requests page.